Inquiry blog #2 – ‘ Why are people attracted to cults?’
My question is ‘ Why are people attracted to cults?’. This question is very interesting to me, as I do not know much about cults, and would like to learn more. I hope you all learn something from my inquiry project 🙂
1- What are cults, and what is there history?
This is important because I must understand cults before being able to answer this question. Knowing the history will help me perceive their complexity. (background)
2- What do people who join cults have in common, and why?
I must understand what type of people join cults. This will help me pinpoint key reasons of why people are attracted to cults. These characteristics may lead to some people being more attracted to cults then others. ( exploring the phycology of the person)
3- How to cults persuade and blind members?
I need to know what tactics cults use that may seem attractive to people. This is important because I must look at the phycology of cults, not only the people in them. By doing this, I can put the pieces together and have a final answer to my question. . ( exploring the phycology behind cult leaders)
Implications to other individuals and/or my community.
- This research will help others better understand cults. Some may be more vulnerable with others, and being educated about the topic can help prevent being drawn into unwanted situations.
- Cults are not very talked about, but it is important to discuss them and the horrific effects they have on people.
- Most people who are in cults, do not know it is a cult. Educating others will lessen the chance of this happening. We talk about the impacts of joining gangs, and why it is very dangerous to join them, but cults can be equally dangerous.
- Being ill-informed can cause people to join a cult, thinking it is a positive thing, when it is not.
- I hope this will teach people about cults, and the characteristics you as an individual have.
- This can help others be warry of their own vulnerabilities.