“To what extend does gender discrimination influence the world and the people in our society?”
Lokshana Groodoyal social responsibility Research topic: “The impacts on males (morally, personally, professionally, etc…) ” – November 20, 2020
Firstly, the question that most people ask: “are tougher men also affected by gender discrimination?” and the answer is YES! whether it be the strongest men in the world or on the planet. they are still affected. How? this blog will answer the question…
This round of research will focus on the moral, personal and health impacts of gender discrimination on males. Gender stereotypes play a huge role in affecting men because it is one of the main reasons gender discrimination exists. Which is also known as mentality. As I mentioned in my previous research that mentality is one of the causes of gender discrimination. However, gender stereotypes are something that we all have been taught ever since we were little or came across at some point in our lives . If not yourself then you probably witnessed someone else, but you certainly came across it.
Moving on, here are some examples of stereotypes that create the image of perfect men/male:
- All men enjoy working on cars
- Men are not nurses, they are doctors
- Men do “dirty jobs” such as construction and mechanics; they are not secretaries, teachers, or cosmetologists
- Men do not do housework and they are not responsible for taking care of children
- Men play video games (especially actions)
- Men enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking, camping, fishing
- Men are in charge; they are always at the top
- As husbands, men tell their wives what
- Men are lazy and/or messy
- Men are good at math (usually)
- It is always men who work in science, engineering, and other technical fields
- Men do not cook, sew, or do crafts
- Men are not emotional
- and more…
These examples of men stereotypes are very popular. And men are very affected by every phrase and word that is judging them. These stereotypes harm their health that leads to cardiovascular disease, cancer, respiratory disease, and diabetes are often linked to unhealthy diets, stress, substance abuse, and other habits, which the report connects to behaviours often stereotypically seen as masculine behaviours like heavy drinking and smoking. Gender stereotypes frequently discourage men and damage their morality by maintaining the image the society has for them. Which then forces them to not seek the help they need because they are supposed to be seen as not emotional and independent. They lose self-confidence and lack concentration on their studies or work which increases the risk of mental disorder and suicidal thoughts.
In conclusion, every man is affected by gender discrimination. Whether the men are tougher than others or fearless or whatever may it be, gender discrimination does harm them. Not only it is affecting their health, but increasing the risk of death because they are pressured to maintain the image that has been set for them the day they were determined to be a male. The pressure they feel is also preventing them from achieving their goal and creating their own identity and becoming the “men” they have dreamed of.
- Bosse, J. (2017, June 22). How ‘Man Up’ And Other Stereotypical Sayings Hurt Boys. Retrieved November 21, 2020, from https://www.huffpost.com/entry/how-man-up-and-other-stereotypical-sayings-hurt-boys_b_594ac2b4e4b092ed90588b28?guccounter=1
- Selby, D. (2018, September 18). Gender Inequality Is Bad for Men’s Health, Report Says. Retrieved November 21, 2020, from https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/gender-inequality-mens-health/
- Bell, G. (2017, December 07). Let’s Get Men Talking About Suicide. Retrieved November 21, 2020, from https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lets-get-men-talking-abou_b_9451820
How many of the stereotypes you know is actually true or you have witnessed?
My next round of research will dive into the health, professional, personal and mental impacts of gender discrimination on females. Different stereotypes will also be presented and challenges that females in our society face proving that not only does it affect males, but females as well from being a newborn baby boy or baby girl to being an adult. This round of research will answer the main question of how gender discrimination influences the world and the people in our society.
Stay tuned for the next round of research 🙂
Lokshana Groodoyal Research topic: “The impacts on males (morally, personally, professionally, etc…)” – November 20, 2020