Teacher: Penny Carnrite
Mentors: Penny Carnrite and Deven Azevedo
Over the summer, Grace and I plan to finish the greenhouse project we started last school year. Last year, we finished our research and received the funds for the greenhouse. Now, we need to start building the greenhouse. First, I need to contact the township of Langley and get an arborist to trim the trees around the area where we are building the greenhouse. Next, I need to contact Costco and purchase the greenhouse as well as the materials we need, including starter soil, seeds, and trays. Then, we need to begin clearing the site of the greenhouse and constructing it.
Sustainability In Kenya
Over the past two weeks, I have been conducting interviews with Kenyans to collect information. Next, I need to compile all the information into a video. In Kenya, I also talked to the principal at Irura Primary about companion gardening and I have further information about it I would like to give to him via Ms. Knittel. The Principal also taught me about how they construct gardens to conserve water and I plan to construct one in our school garden .
- J. Muthui (personal communication July 8, 2015)
- V. Mageto (personal communication July 12, 2015)
- S. Mwende (personal communication July 12, 2015)
- Kenya country profile. Library of Congress Federal Research Division (June 2007).
- Mutunga, K. (1999). Water Conservation, Harvesting and Management (WCHM) -Kenyan Experience. Nairobi.
- TED Talks: Ron Finley. (2013, February) A guerrilla gardener in South Central LA [ video file]. Retrieved from http://www.ted.com/talks/ron_f..._in_south_central_la
- TEDXManhattan: Stephen Ritz. (2012, January) A teacher growing green in the South Bronx [video file]. Retrieved from http://www.ted.com/talks/steph...n_in_the_south_bronx