Hello! And welcome to my last blog post/ reflection for this semester.
What challenges did you overcome throughout this inquiry project? How did you go about
When researching about my topic some of the challenges I overcame were related to looking for my 3 mini questions. That was one of the biggest parts of the inquiry project so I wanted to make sure I picked 3 interesting and helpful mini questions that would help me get closer to finding an answer. I ended up choosing 2 different ones and one that sums it all up. This sped up my research process and helped my writing be more concise.
How did this inquiry change the way you think?
Finding an answer to “How we develop phobias” changed the way I thunk when it came to ”blaming” our phobias on others. I learnt that phobias can be developed genetically, through traumatic experiences and hearing negative things about the particular topic. It changed the way I think about people blaming others for their phobias because I often thought phobias were only passed genetically. With my phobia of dogs, I always blamed it on my mom and aunt because they were terrified of dogs as well. I realized that yes some part of it is genetic but it was also because of some negative experiences growing up.
How did this investigation impact your future decisions?
This investigation impacted the way I will deal with phobias in the future. I researched on how to deal with phobias and came up with some answers.
Symptoms: When faced with a particular situation (4)
- unsteady feeling, dizzy, lightheaded or faint.
- a pounding heart, increased heart rate.
- chest pain
- hot or cold flushes.
- shortness of breath
- nausea, vomiting or diarrhoea.
Ways to help yourself: In the moment (2)
- Slowly breathe
- Look around your surroundings and distract yourself
- Get help from someone near you or try calming yourself down
- Tell yourself that you are stronger than your fear
Ways to help yourself: In general (2)
- Do something to get over your phobia. As many different fears, phobias get worse if you neglect them. Take small steps till you are more comfortable with your phobia.
- Do not escape situations where you might come across your fear. If you take the fight or flight method, choose fight where you don’t actually fight your fear but your mind instead. Tell yourself you are more than what you fear.
I hope this helps!
What impact will this investigation have on others locally and/or globally?
Finding out how we develop phobias will impact our community in a positive way. I have many friends who wondered why they feared something and after reading my research, they too found answers to their question. I am glad I picked an inquiry question that will benefit the community as well as myself.