Why is decriminalization being discussed in our society?
Hi everyone! For my first research round, I will be discussing why decriminalization is being discussed in our society. I will be talking about the basics of marijuana, so that I can discuss them more in depth later. This will include views on marijuana and cigarettes, from a survey I created.
IMPORTANT DEFINITIONS. These are needed to understand the following data and research.
The data from my survey was somewhat expected. Below the data, I made a chart comparing some of the more relevant questions.
You believe that the decriminalization of marijuana in Canada…
- Ok choice (40%)
- Definitely a good choice (35%)
- Slightly bad decision (15%)
- Definitely a horrible choice (10%)
How do you view cigarettes?
- I dislike them, but it does not matter to me if people choose to smoke or not. (67.5%)
- They are disgusting and kill too many people to be legal (should be illegal). (27.5%)
- Unsure (5%)
- Cigarettes are not as bad as marijuana (2.5%)
How do you view marijuana IN COMPARISON to cigarettes?
- Cigarettes are worse for your health than marijuana (37.5%)
- They are equally harmful (32.5%)
- There has not been enough research about marijuana to know (12.5%)
- I do not know (12.5%)
- Marijuana is worse for your health than cigarettes (5%)
How comfortable are you with cigarettes?
- Uncomfortable (42.5%)
- Neutral (25%)
- Very uncomfortable (22.5%)
- Comfortable (10%)
How comfortable are you with marijuana?
- Uncomfortable (30%)
- Comfortable (27.5%)
- Neutral (25%)
- Very uncomfortable (17.5%)
Do you believe that marijuana has medicinal properties?
- Yes (52.63%)
- More studies must be done (28.95%)
- I do not know (13.16%)
- No (5.26%)
Do you think that marijuana is safe in developing bodies (below 25 years of age)?
- No (45%)
- Not enough studies, so to be on the safe side I will assume no (37.5%)
- Not sure (10%)
- Yes (7.5%)
- Not enough studies, so I will assume yes (0%)
Do you believe that other currently illegal drugs (ex. LSD, mushrooms) should be decriminalized/legalized?
- Decriminalized-yes, Legalized- no (37.5%)
- They should only be used in health care facilities (ex. Abuse survivors, terminal illness) (35%)
- Decriminalized- no, Legalized- no (20%)
- Legalized- yes (7.5%)
|How comfortable are you with cigarettes?||How comfortable are you with marijuana?|
|Very uncomfortable (22.5%)||Very uncomfortable (17.5%)|
|Uncomfortable (42.5%)||Uncomfortable (30%)|
|Neutral (25%)||Neutral (25%)|
|Comfortable (10%)||Comfortable (27.5%)|
(Most of the surveyors were between the age of 15-17, some between 13-14. There were a few who were 20+ but not many.)
This data shows exactly what I expected. You can see that the surveyors are much more comfortable with marijuana, compared to cigarettes. These results explain why younger generations want marijuana legalized and why it is being discussed. 
Some more basics about marijuana:
- my survey