For my first round of research I will be giving a general introduction on the physical aspects for the first cycle of “How does the Educational System Affect Teenagers?” Without recognizing it, sometimes we overlook the impacts school has on teens because an education is a stepping stone to starting a successful life; however, we need to evaluate the situation to determine if grinding until 2am is a suitable lifestyle for several years. The education system does provide beneficial aspects to students lives such as the required physical education course but one must ask themselves if the pros outweigh the cons.
Therefore, within this first round of research, I will be investigating…
- What does physical mean?
- How does it differ from mental and emotional aspects?
- What are some positive and negative physical aspects of school?
What does physical mean?
From a dictionary standpoint, physical is any “physical qualities, actions, or things that are connected with a person’s body, rather than with their mind.” Within the real world, it can be touched or seen, rather than words spoken or heard. (1) For example, a person’s hand is a physical object that can be held and examined with some of your senses such as touch, smell, sight and taste if you wish (2) whereas a scream can’t be measured with touch or smell because it’s a noise. In terms of health, physical is the overall condition of your body and it can be altered by diet, genetics, environment and health care. (3)
How does physical differ from mental and emotional aspects?
Although there are 3 different aspects within the body; physical, mental and emotional, they are all connected and affect each other. As mentioned above, physical is the condition of the body, (3) whereas mental can be defined as “a condition that affects how you think, feel or interact” and it can take a variety of forms. For example, some forms of mental health include depression, anxiety, and even suicide. (4) Mental health also determines your ability to handle stress and relating to society which demonstrates the importance of taking care of your health through all stages of your life. Although it may not appear serious, mental health problems are frequently related to biological factors like genes, life experiences such as trauma or family history of mental health issues. (5) Emotional health is very similar to mental health since they can have the same result of depression and anxiety but other factors could include the amount of income the family receives. Even though money shouldn’t be a deciding factor in happiness, children appear to have better mental health when a steady of income is available as well as having 2 parents as caregivers. (6) By definition, emotional health is a balance between all aspects of your life and it can be quite subjective because it varies for each individual based on culture or experiences that we have been through. For some it’s easier to express their opinions and feelings towards a topic, but it could also include learning from mistakes and bouncing back from the issue. (7)
What are some positive and negative physical aspects of school?
*For this section, the positive and negative aspects were chosen based on research of “what are positive and negative impacts teens have” and I have related it towards education*
Positive aspects of school include…
- Inclusion and participation parents have been educated to increase children’s physical needs at home (8)
- Providing after-school programs to increase both physical and mental skills (9)
HEALTHY FOOD OPTIONS
- Food within the cafeteria have taken a healthy approach by having a salad bar, lots of wraps and sandwiches
FUN WATER FOUNTAIN
- At Best, there is frequently a line in front of the water fountain however, not in front of the vending machine which demonstrates students are choosing to be healthy (11)
Negative aspects are…
- Students have endless amounts of homework and other afterschool activities such as a job or sport which results in no time for their homework, other than late nights (13)
- Due to students not always having the best sleep and lack of nutritious meals, constant tiredness becomes frequent and unhealthy
PROMOTION OF UNHEALTHY FOODS
- Although we do have a salad bar, the number of fries being purchased are still significantly more than any other healthy option
AMOUNT OF SITTING WITHIN CLASSES
- Over ¾ of our school day is spent seated within classes and don’t meet the daily physical requirements (12)
Although the positive and negative aspects can be quite similar, there is always a pros and cons side to both sides of a story.
That’s all for this round of research, and here is the project plan for the next round.
Research Round 2 – Positive Impacts
- How has school positively impacted teenagers physically?
- Physical Education, etc
- How / Why has It impacted students lives? (Educationally, personally)
- Suggestions on improvements (even though it is successful)
- Physical Education, etc
Comments, opinions and suggestions are always welcome and I look forward to getting to know all the new members of Butterfly Effect!