Hey guys! My previous rounds of research looked into the physical, psychological and emotional combinations of humans and technology. This round is briefer and explores some ethical questions that may arise. Note, there are many when it comes to the topic of humans and technology.
Question: Should humans and technology be combined?
Topic: Ethical concerns of combining humans and technology
- What are the risks and ethical concerns that may arise when combining humans and technology?
- Concerning Elon Musk’s Neuralink, the technology could have unforeseen implications and risks. The question of cybersecurity would have to be asked if this project succeeds. If the chip is to store information that is received in the brain through the probes that are connected to the neurons, several complications can arise. (Bocetta, 2019)
- Data breaches and technological tracking is common in today’s technology. But if technology can be stored concerning information encoded from our brains, they equally have the ability to be altered through security breaches. (Wilson et al, 2019)
- The wireless technology required for the interaction of a chip in the brain would also be vulnerable to viruses and other technological risks. (Wilson et al, 2019)
- The Trojan computer viruses are common in wireless applications like Bluetooth and can be used to steal data. Neuralink can be susceptible to malware that could be spread through wireless applications. (Wilson et al, 2019)
- There are numerous concerns of ethics regarding artificial intelligence itself but the combinations of humans and AI raises all those questions and many more. (Torresen, 2017)
- One of the main concerns may be losing human skills due to technological excellence. If AI is developed to a stage that surpasses human capabilities and is then combined with humans, it may leave the question of if anyone involved in the combination still retains their free-will as there would be an evident imbalance of power. This again would lead to a far more complicated justice system. (Torresen, 2017)
- When it concerns the more physical traits of combining technology and humans, as with prosthetics, some of the ethical concerns listed above may still apply. Such if prosthetics surpass human capabilities, questions of equality and who would have access to this kind of technology would continue to arise. (Torresen, 2017)
Bocetta, S. (2019, August 01). What are the security implications of Elon Musk’s Neuralink? Retrieved November 02, 2020, from https://www.csoonline.com/article/3429361/what-are-the-security-implications-of-elon-musks-neuralink.html
Torresen, J. (2017, December 20). A Review of Future and Ethical Perspectives of Robotics and AI. Retrieved November 02, 2020, from https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/frobt.2017.00075/full
Wilson and Paul R. Daugherty, J. (2019, November 19). How Humans and AI Are Working Together in 1,500 Companies. Retrieved November 02, 2020, from https://hbr.org/2018/07/collaborative-intelligence-humans-and-ai-are-joining-forces
Thanks for reading!