First, I’m sorry this is up late; I had posted it way before but I went on the site today and saw that for some reason it was not there so I guess it did not post.
This is my second round of research with my question “How does color affect mental state?”. For this round, I will be researching about what a mental state and what is considered a healthy mental state. This would include topics such as what makes up a healthy mental state, what makes up an unhealthy one and what factors actually contribute to shape a mental state.
What is a mental state?
A mental state is a state of mind that one is in. Basically, a mental state is a mental condition. It’s a relationship that would be connecting the person with a proposition. Some of these states are a combination of different mental representations and different propositional attitudes. Some states of mind that a person experiences are love, hate, pleasure and pain, and some attitudes toward propositions are believing that, conceiving that, hoping and fearing that, etc.(1)
Scientists have traditionally assumed that different kinds of mental states actually relate to different psychological faculties that have domain-specific correlates in the brain.
During every moment of life, a human mind consists of many kinds of mental states. These mental states are more known as emotions, cognitions, perceptions, etc. (2)
Much like a lot in life, you aren’t born with an unhealthy mind; it’s made over time. Many people face situations that take a toll on their mental health which can be effective for the rest of their lives. If an unhealthy mind is found in children and teens and it is ignored, it can cause dangerous issues in their adulthood which is why it’s important to get treatment. (3)
Here are some factors that can create unhealthy minds:
- Abuse of alcohol and drugs(4)
- Physical inactivity(4)
- Poor sleep or lack of sleep(4)
- Experiencing distress over a long period(4)
- Being in a violent environment(4)
- Poor food and nutrition (4)
- Being bullied(4)
- Being isolated and excluded(4)
Having a healthy mind will help you navigate through your life very smoothly. However, it has been found that some people do not know how it is that you obtain one. (4)
Steps one can take to obtain a healthy mind include the following:
- Being active – Exercising makes you feel good and can help your mental health. It will also help you sleep better so you can have a good rest. (4)
- Healthy eating- Eating well will make your body and mind feel a lot better. This would also include reducing intake of alcohol as the overuse of alcohol can increase depressive feelings. (4)
- Friends and family- Talking to others about feelings can make you feel a lot better. It’s especially important right now to stay connected with everyone. (4)
- Learning – Learning new skills, facts, etc all contribute to having a healthy mind. To keep your mind healthy, you can learn a new sport, language, learn to play an instrument, read books and anything that makes you challenge yourself in a good way. (4)
Next time,I will be linking the two previous rounds and actually try to determine what impacts color can have on a person’s mental state and mental health. I’ll look into this with a lot of depth, especially color theory. I will essentially be trying to come up with a conclusion to my question. If you have any ideas, questions or comments for me, feel free to let me know. Thanks for reading!